What the job is about
You will have a leading role in creating the foundation for our upcoming IMG.LY cloud services.
Our cloud services will include running deep learning inference, managing assets, as well as running instances of our UBQ creative engine for batch processing. You will be making technology decisions regarding the cloud infrastructure and services as well being responsible for setting up a scalable and cost effective infrastructure for providing end user APIs.
Who we are
We enjoy building building great products that excite, empower, and connect people so they can make the world more creative and expressive. We are still a small team of around 30 people but we all together we have many years of experience creating products. Engineers, designers, sales, finance, hr, – we have all experiences on board enabling us to iterate and build things quickly.
Our flagship products include Software Development Kits for photo– and video-editing applications that are used to build custom applications by small and huge enterprises all over the globe.
As a remote-first company we work where we work best. May it be from home, in an office, or a co–working space. IMG.LY was founded in Bochum, Germany and we have an office there. We often work miles apart but still we are very close. Aside working together, we hang out remotely on a regular basis and at least once a year we'll meet in person somewhere on the globe.
How we work
- Refining work in iterations instead of assuming it's perfect from scratch. We work in cycles in 6 weeks divided into phases of tinkering and getting things done.
- Sharing knowledge and exchange with peers is important to us.
- Find practical solutions and focus on the product.
- Good architecture is understandable architecture.
- Plan, setup, develop, and deploy cloud APIs and services.
- Identify and plan potential new cloud services and features with fellow team members.
- Be in charge of everything related to our cloud infrastructure.
- Be the expert overall subject matter on cloud technologies and trends.
- Communicate and foster knowledge transfer inside and outside of IMG.LY.
- Help growing your team by actively seeking and hiring globally distributed talent.
- Multiple years of experience in building and deploying backend services including setting up the necessary infrastructure as well as writing services as well.
- Hands on experience in running and scaling API services.
- Hands on cloud engineering experience with GCP, AWS, Azure or similar providers.
- Work independently and self-reliant.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in english.
- nice to have: Hands on experience in running and scaling deep learning models.
- nice to have: You like to write blog posts and share knowledge by giving internal and/or external talks on meetups and conferences.
How to apply
Get in touch
We don't need a novel as a cover letter. Sample projects are worth more than a thousand words. If you have a reference project feel free to include it with your CV.
The first interview with our people manager Kathi will be done with the purpose to get to know each other on a people level. This is, to set the frame for everything there is to come.
Meet the team
Our second interview will be a remote coffee with the tech team to get to know each other with the intention to have a general discussion. We will tell you more about us and answer your questions, but obviously, we want to learn more about you as well. What are your interests? What have you been working on lately and why?
However, it will not be a technical interview, so you will not solve or program anything, but we might ask you some technical questions about your past projects according to your resume.
Test the waters
In the third interview, we like to get a glimpse and see how you work and communicate. The best way for us to do this is to see you in action. You will get a small feature to implement. Nothing fancy, nothing real, but enough to see how you approach a problem. You can work on this on your own, but we will jump in from time to time where you tell us what you have done, if you are stuck and why, and how you want to tackle the next issues. Basically, it will be a little bit like Pair Programming.